Saturday, January 22, 2011

Almonds~

I really love almonds. I'm a huge fan of a handful for breakfast or a snack and worked into salads, entrees, cereal, yogurt, trail mix, granola, candy and I'm open to new ideas.
Oh and slided almonds in my ice cream is most excellent too. I don't opt to buy slivered almonds too much and I don't know why. I'm pretty much a whole and slided kind of almond eater.

I was never a fan of peanut butter but almond butter...is the bomb!!! (as my kids would say) We make our own at the grocery store. On a side note: I love our grocery store. So anyways, almond butter on toast is a staple breakfast for me. I think about how much I love almonds and I'm so glad no one in our family is allergic to any sort of nuts.
Those that know me know that I don't care for chocolate. In order for me to eat it, it has to be combined with lots of nuts, caramel, toffee or something chewy and crunchy. A little chocolate and lots of chewy and crunchy= okay I'll have some.
But there are these chocolate chips. You can't tell in the picture but these milk chocolate chocolate chips are pretty big. They're not the small Nestle type. I buy these at my beloved grocery store, in the bulk section. For about six months they switched to regular chocolate chips and I was soooo upset this wasn't cleared with me. Of course I never would have given them the okay and maybe that's why they chose not to tell me. But a few visits ago, I noticed they were back and stocked up the pantry.

So on occasion, there is this combination that's actually yummy. A few almonds and a chocolate chip is pretty tasty. More almonds than chocolate chips of course but the little bit of chocolate sweet can be yummy.

Then there's this. Nutella. My kids will sit and eat this out of the container if I don't watch them. I'm pretty sure they feel its part of the food pyramid and a daily necessity. I like it too and on occasion I'll have some. If there's any left.
I've been known to have this combination. Almond butter, nutella and five seed wheat toast makes my mouth happy. The end. Peace.

1 comment:

Heather said...

A friend taught me this way to make almonds (and my boys like it very much) - Just coat some almonds in maple syrup (maybe 1/4 cup syrup to 2 cups almonds) and then bake them on a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes or until just toasted (careful not to burn). The syrup turns into a sweet, hard coating and they are delicious.